Monday, December 10, 2007

The "best" music of 2007. More than ever before, my ten favorite choices are available only as CD's, but I still consider the 12" longplayer to be the quality musical format for a whole variety of reasons anyone who knows me is very sick of hearing.

At this point in history my preference for the vinyl L.P. does not signify that I am some sort of rebel, but simply that I am old. When asked their format preference, given three choices: CD, LP or MP3, two men whose opinion I value, Robert Wyatt and Thurston Moore both replied with a fourth all but forgotten musical format choice: cassette. So perhaps I am championing the wrong outmoded medium. Honestly, since I bought a new car with a very good sound system and CD player my relationship with CD's has much improved. In whatever format they are available these are the ten "albums" I have been playing most these recent months:

1. Enon: Grass Geysers… Carbon Clouds (LP/CD)
2. Grinderman (Mute CD)
3. Throbbing Gristle: Part Two: The Endless Not (CD)
4. Peter Case: Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John (CD)
5. Liars: Stumm 287 (LP/CD)
6. These Are Powers: Terrific Seasons (Hoss Records) (CD)
7. Steve Earle: Washington Square Serenade (CD)
8. Z’ev & Stephen O’Malley: Magistral (CD)
9. The Bags: All Baged Up: The Collected Works 1977 – 1980 (LP)
10. ESG: A South Bronx Story 2: Collector’s Edition -- Raities (LP)

1 Comments:

Blogger bloglogger said...

Though I do not share your musical preferences -I'm totally 60's- I agree with you when ranking the different music formats available. Vinyl is coming back strong. It never disappeared at all. We needed the CD to start longing on those old days of vinyl. By the way, I'm sixty years old and I don't care if others criticize me because of my preferences. Long live the vinyl!

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home