Wednesday, September 30, 2009

In 1970 I turned 11 years old. By the end of that year I was already quite the little record collector geek. I spent every dollar I received in allowance toward records. I owned pretty much everything by the Beatles and the Stones, plus a couple of Joplin records, two by Hendrix, some Zepplin, several C.C.R. records, and one Crosby, Stills & Nash. I even owned a copy of the insane “Wedding Album” about which I could not make much sense. I remember one incident in 1970 that stands out involving another Lennon record. I was very excited about the new “Plastic Ono Band,” a record that turned out to be enormously influential. I knew it was out, somehow. After school I walked to Greenbriar Mall to pick up a copy. But when I got home with the record, purchased from Pennies (the Walmart of that era), my copy was badly warped and unplayable. I was very upset. When my dad came home from work, he decided to help. Together we went back to the discount store. Despite the fact I had no doubt lost my receipt, we got a replacement copy. My dad was a passionate Republican, a rarity among southern conservatives in those very different times, and I am certain he detested John Lennon. Yet, he was a good man. I was his son, and I wanted the record. He kindly helped me get a new, playable copy of this brilliant secularist, “leftist propaganda” record, a classic that remains my favorite of 1970, and one of my favorite records of any year.


Best LPs of 1970


1. John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band (Apple)
2. The Stooges: Funhouse (Elektra)
3. Captain Beefheart: Lick My Decals Off Baby (Straight)
4. Leonard Cohen: Songs of Love and Hate (CBS)
5. David Bowie: The Man Who Sold the World (RCA)
6. The Beatles: Let It Be (Apple)
7. Miles Davis: Bitches Brew (CBS)
8. Peter Brotzmann: Balls (FMP)
9. The Velvet Underground: Loaded (Cotillion)
10. Creedence Clearwater Revival: Cosmos Factory (Fantasy)
11. The Beatles: Hey Jude (Apple)
12. Can: Soundtracks (Liberty)
13. Allman Brothers Band: Idlewind South (Capricorn)
14. Grateful Dead: Workingman’s Dead (Warner Brothers)
15. The Kinks: Lola Vs Powerman (Reprise)
16. Neil Young: After the Gold Rush (Reprise)
17. Alice Coltrane: Journey In Satchidananda (Impulse)
18. Van Morrison: Moondance (Warner Brothers)
19. Sun Ra: My Brother the Wind: Volume 1 (Saturn Research)
20. Sun Ra: The Night of the Purple Moon (Saturn Research)
21. Syd Barrett: Madcap Laughs (Harvest)
22. Syd Barrett: Syd Barrett (Harvest)
23. John Cale: Vintage Violence (CBS)
24. Yoko Ono: Plastic Ono Band (Apple)
25. Bob Segar: Mongrel (Capitol)
26. Phil Ochs: Greatest Hits (A&M)
27. Mott the Hoople: Mad Shadows (Atlantic)
28. The Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya’ Yas Out (London)
29. James Brown: Sex Machine (King)
30. Janis Joplin: Pearl (Columbia)
31. Nick Drake: Bryter Later (Hannibal)
32. AMM: Live Electronic Music Improvised (Mainstream)
33. Amon Duul: Amon Duul (Prophesy)
34. The Move: Shazam (Regal Zonophone, UK)
35. T. Rex: T. Rex (Fly)
36. Swamp Dog: Total Destruction to Your Mind (Canyon)
37. Steve Reich: Four Organs/Phase Patterns (Shandar)
38. Tim Buckley: Lorca (Elektra)
39. Al Green: Green Is Blues (Hi)
40. Paul McCartney: McCartney (Apple)
41. Bob Dylan: Self Portrait (CBS)
42. The Faces: First Step (Warner Brothers)
43. Traffic: John Barlycorn Must Die (United Artists)
44. Led Zepplin: 3 (Atlantic)
45. Rod Stewart: Gasoline Alley (Mercury)
46. Johnny Winter: Second Winter (CBS)
47. Grateful Dead: American Beauty (Reprise)
48. Cluster: Klopfzeichen (Schwann)
49. Black Sabbath: Paranoid (Warner Brothers)
50. Isaac Hayes: The Isaac Hayes Movement (Enterprise)
51. Rod Stewart: An Old Raincoat Won’t Ever Let You Down (Vertigo, UK)
52. Randy Newman: 12 Songs (Reprise)
53. George Harrison: All Things Must Pass (Apple)
54. The Temptations: Psychedelic Shack (Motown)
55. King Crimson: Lizards (Atlantic)
56. MC5: Back in the U.S.A. (Atlantic)
57. Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Columbia)
58. Creedence Clearwater Revival: Willie & the Poor Boys (Fantasy)
59. Bob Dylan: New Morning (CBS)
60. Beach Boys: Sunflower (Capitol)
61. Crosby Stills Nash & Young: Déjà vu (Atlantic)
62. The Doors: Morrison Hotel (Elektra)
63. The Jackson Five: ABC (Motown)
64. Sly & the Family Stone: Whole New Thing (Epic)

2 Comments:

Blogger WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Glen,

On behalf of Exile Productions, Exile Publishing, Exile Films and Lion Records, many thanks for plugging Van Morrison and, if you / your readers would like good quality, non-pirated previews from Van's latest album and DVD - "Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl" - then footage of “Sweet Thing” from the Hollywood Bowl is available for fans to view and link to (ONLY please – not for embedding) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BYvoH2_XuA. Up-to-the-minute news on the “Astral Weeks Live” album and film releases and Van’s 2009 shows is, of course, available on www.vanmorrison.com and www.myspace.com/vanmorrison. An increasing archive of exclusive film footage of Van Morrison performances is also available for fans and YouTubers on Exile’s official channel at http://uk.youtube.com/user/OfficialExileFilms ... .. and keep an eye on these official sources for details of further preview material and on-line promotions.

Thanks again for your plug.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

5:13 AM  
Blogger smibbo conspiracy said...

wow, lot of my own favorites from childhood there too. I remember getting a cassette copy of the Plastic Ono band. Blew my 14yrold mind more than Nina Hagen had. Haha. Its also very nice to know someone else in the world loved Tim Buckley's Lorca. There are times the titular song winds through my brain and I feel like lying down under a tree and listening all over again like I used to in Philadelphia when I had nothing better to do than watch the clouds.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home